Friday, May 27, 2016

 

What is literature, to me.

Literature to me is the promise that my mind will take journeys along, and every now and then touch the pinnacle of, every conceivable mental dimension. Reaching the pinnacle of sadness at the ending of Atonement when Briony spills it, of excitement during Mike Martin's desert adventures in Fist of god, of mirth reading of Cuthbert wooing Adeline (Wodehouse), of mental processing when cracking cipher's in The Code Book, of romance in Smithson's taboo pursuit of Sarah in French Lieutenant's Woman (or Noah's belief in Allie in the notebook), of wonderment at Rowling and Tolkien's magical worlds, of inspiration when peeping into Jack Ma's life (the house that Jack Ma built). The books that take me to the pinnacle, to the very extremes of the axis on a dimension, are my favorites, while I am happy to walk some distance along different dimensions in every book I read.

Written in response to a Facebook post asking the question by my English Literature prof from IIT days. Introduction to English literature in second year, and Reading fiction, in the fourth year. Among my most memorable courses in IIT (if not the most). 

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]