Tuesday, November 06, 2018

 

Avoid ankle rankle- Some easy practices to prevent ankle woes

Here's a crossword clue as a bait: Ravichandran Ashwin, in his profession, comes across injury (6) (Answer at the end)

The unfortunate news is that I am suffering from the longest lasting sprain I've had in my life, one which has seen a good number of mostly non-major sports knocks and one major (ACL tear leading to surgery). It's been 3 weeks, and there's 2 more weeks to go, of crepe bandage wrapping and gingerly treading. My annual December sojourn with the Himalayas is 1.5 months away, and this ankle better get its act together by then.

Based on this Here are some things which should be done to avoid these injuries:

1. Warm up: Everyone knows but many miss it, either occasionally, or often. Especially focus on joints which will get heavily worked in the forthcoming activity- be it shoulder while bowling, or ankle while running/playing football/bowling. This is especially true when playing in the mornings, or when it's cold. I did not sufficiently warm up.

2. Play within yourself if you are playing after a long time: I was playing Baddy after 6 months, and I took on against NR who plays well at a friendly neighborhood rented badminton court. I tried to pick up every single shuttle sent my way. The critical juncture was an occasion when he sent one all the way back, and the return to my non-exemplary mid-court return was the inevitable drop. As I scampered somewhat clumsily towards the net to retrieve, the ankle gave. Well- how about giving up when I saw the drop shot from NR when I was all the way back, with the realization that I was not in a state, on that day, to get there?

3. Be a Federer not a Nadal. If your game is relying more on reach- "I will get to wherever you put it mate- I will move like Flash within the rectangle- bring it on!"- then you are better off easing off this approach if you are playing after a long hiatus. Be more like Federer- try to win by placing it right, and staying in the middle of the court, rather than adopting a Nadal-esque strategy.

4. Watch for the numb foot: My ankle weakness originated last year. I was sitting at work, having tapped away at the 'board and taken a few calls- unmoved for a couple of hours. Suddenly, summons came in to go the next door room, and I got up in a tremendous rush. However, the left foot by now was completely numb, and it completely gave way and there was an almighty fall and an ankle sprain which lasted a week or so.

3 weeks ago....                                              .....Today this is still on!
 



Answer to crossword clue: Sprain (RA is Ravichandran Ashwin, spin is his profession)

Labels:


Comments:
‘Warm up’ often used loosely, and I’ve seen people do a few jogs on spot and assume they are warmed up. It’s a 10 min activity at a minimum, starting from top (neck) till ankle - and especially getting every muscle in the leg stretched. Best to use YouTube or follow an experienced player to complete warm ups
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]